Amazon Prime has been progressively beefing up their digital offering, and the service is much more than just 2 day free delivery nowadays. The service has become quite interesting even for people who are not physically located in the US.
Unfortunately, Amazon have been restricting prime subscriptions to people with a US credit card… until recently.
Amazon recently introduced the “gift of prime” concept which lets people subscribe to prime without a credit card, and the following loophole lets you subscribe to Amazon prime without having a US credit card or a us billing address.
The idea is that we’re going to buy an Amazon gift certificate first, then use that gift certificate to purchase an Amazon Prime subscription “gift”, that we will send to ourselves. Sounds complicated? It’s not.
Give it a try: if you try to buy a prime gift subscription from Amazon with a non US credit card, you will most likely see an error message like this: (If you don’t, good for you, you’re all set).
The next thing that people would typically attempt is to lie about their billing address on their Credit Card, and use a fake US address. Depending on your bank, this might work, but most likely it won’t. I actually don’t recommend even trying that, as it could mark you as “frauded” from Amazon’s perspective, making future digital purchases difficult for you.
Instead, we’re going to use a tiny loophole, here are the steps:
- First, buy yourself a $99 gift card from Amazon. This works with any Card, including your foreign Credit card. The gift code should come in your email inbox within a few minutes.
- (Optional) go to your account to edit your credit card’s billing address. You will replace your credit card billing address with a random US address (google for one, pick a hotel or something like that)
- Add a prime gift subscription to your cart, and enter your email address as the recipient
- Use your gift balance of $99 as a payment method. This here is the magic loophole.
- Amazon should now let you through. You will receive your prime Code in an email, and can redeem it. This is it, you’re a US prime member now, and can start enjoying the free Amazon prime videos.
Note: This works because in step 4, Amazon doesn’t seem to check your IP or contact your bank for credit card information. If step 4 doesn’t work, make sure you update your billing address to a fake US one in step 2.
Please report your experience using this trick!
Note: this was heavily inspired by this article to buy PSN Codes using the same type of trick!
Disclaimer: to the best of my knowledge, this trick is legal and works. Nevertheless, it is not our intent to engage you in any sort of illegal activity. This trick was working at the time of writing, we cannot be held responsible for any change happening that could result in the loophole being closed. Use your money wisely, and don’t blame us for your choices!